The best soy sauces are naturally fermented, low in additives, and free from preservatives and artificial colors.
Buying a soy sauce can be a challenge, especially when it comes to finding one that has the right balance of saltiness and sweetness. The good news is, there are some great options out there!
The Best Light Soy Sauce Brands
What is light soy sauce?
Light soy sauce, or simply “light soy”, is a type of Chinese condiment made from fermented soybeans, salt and wheat.
It has a salty flavor with hints of sweetness, and its color ranges from clear to deep amber depending on the brand. It is used as an all-purpose seasoning for dishes such as stir-fries, marinades, soups and sauces.
What can a light soy sauce do?
Light soy sauce is a flavorful seasoning condiment that is made with soybeans, wheat flour, salt and sugar. It can be used for a wide variety of dishes, such as stir-fry noodle dishes and dipping sauces for dim sum.
It is also a common ingredient in Asian soup broths, marinades, and dipping sauces. It is typically added to Chinese-style recipes during the beginning of cooking, as it can add an extra layer of flavor without overpowering the dish or making it too dark.
It is also often paired with dark soy sauce to enhance the coloring of a dish, as it is less likely to turn the dish brown. To make sure you are using the right type of soy sauce, read the ingredients.
Types of Light Soy Sauce
There are a number of different types of light soy sauce brands. Some of them are made from fermented soybeans, while others contain other ingredients like wheat and salt.
This type of soy sauce is a staple in Chinese cuisine and can be used in soups, dips, marinades, or even stir-fry dishes.
However, it can also be difficult to find a light soy sauce with the right consistency and flavor. You may have to experiment with alternatives like Tamari, mushroom soy sauce, or even coconut aminos.
The difference between dark and light soy sauce is largely due to the length of time they are aged, as well as the presence of molasses or caramel. Both soy sauces are sweet and salty, but the dark variety is thicker and has a slightly more intense umami flavor.
Reviews of 7 the Best Light Soy Sauce Brands
If you’re looking for a flavorful addition to your cooking, light soy sauce is the way to go. Light soy sauce has a thinner texture and a milder flavor than dark or regular soy sauce. It works especially well in dishes with delicate flavors and bright colors such as stir-fries and salads. Here are reviews of 7 top-rated brands of light soy sauce that you should try!
1. Kikkoman: This brand is widely known for its all-purpose recipes as well as its light soy sauce, which contains only four ingredients: water, wheat, salt, and fermented soybeans—no artificial additives or preservatives. The unique “taste-locking packaging” ensures the freshness of the soy sauce, and the light flavor makes it a great addition to summer dishes.
2. Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce: This brand is considered to be one of the best-tasting light soy sauces around. It has a milder flavor than other brands and contains only four ingredients water, wheat, salt, and fermented soybeans. The packaging is also designed to keep the contents fresh for longer periods.
3. Yamasa Light Soy Sauce: This brand prides itself on its traditional brewing methods that involve aging in clay vessels for up to three months before being filtered through wood ash for purification. In addition, this light soy sauce contains only five ingredients: water, wheat, salt, sugar and fermented soybeans. It has a mild flavor that is perfect for adding a subtle umami taste to salads and grilled vegetables.
4. Marukin Light Soy Sauce: This Japanese brand is known for its superior quality soy sauce that is made with only five natural ingredients. The light version contains water, wheat, salt, sugar and fermented soybeans, making it a versatile ingredient for any dish. Its mild flavor also makes it ideal for dipping sauces or marinating meats and seafoods.
5. Koon Chun Light Soy Sauce: This Hong Kong-based company has been producing high-quality Chinese seasonings since 1934, including their popular light soy sauce which features an authentic Chinese flavor profile with hints of garlic, chilies and other spices. It is brewed the traditional way through a slow, natural process and contains no artificial preservatives or flavor enhancers.
6. Golden Mountain Light Soy Sauce: This light soy sauce from Thailand has an aroma of caramelized garlic and a mild flavor that makes it perfect for marinades and stir-fries. The light color of this brand also means it won’t discolor your food as much as other brands would. It contains only four ingredients: water, wheat, salt, and fermented soybeans.
7. Hakkaisan Light Soy Sauce: This Japanese company specializes in sake production but also produces light soy sauce with just five simple ingredients water, wheat, salt, sugar and fermented soybeans. Its light flavor makes it the per
Tips to use Light Soy Sauce
Light soy sauce is a versatile ingredient that can be used in soups, stews, dipping sauces, and marinades. However, it is important to know how to use it correctly so that you can get the best flavor out of it.
In Chinese cooking, it’s typically mixed with dark soy sauce to add color and saltiness, but you can also use it alone for some dishes.
This is the most common type of soy sauce that you’ll see at most restaurants or dim sum shops. It’s the most versatile and is safe to use in a lot of recipes that call for soy sauce.
It’s thinner than dark soy sauce, which makes it a good option for fried rice or other western dishes where you want a bit of flavor but don’t want to make your dish a very dark color.
FAQs about Light Soy Sauce
Q: How does light soy sauce differ from dark soy sauce?
A: Light Soy Sauce has a lighter color and less intense flavor than Dark Soy Sauce. Whereas Dark Soy Sauce has been naturally brewed and aged for longer periods of time giving it a more intense, sweet and savory taste. Light Soy Sauce is thinner in consistency and slightly saltier than Dark Soy Sauce.
Q: What are the benefits of using light soy sauce?
A: Light soy sauce is a great way to add flavor to dishes without adding extra sodium or calories. It has a balanced flavor that can enhance the overall taste of your dish while still allowing other ingredients such as herbs and spices to shine through. Additionally, it contains essential minerals that may have health benefits such as magnesium and iron.
Q: Is light soy sauce gluten-free?
A: No, light soy sauce is not gluten-free because it contains wheat. However, some brands offer gluten-free alternatives made with rice or other grains. If you are looking for a gluten-free soy sauce, be sure to look for one that is specifically labeled as such.
Q: Where can I buy light soy sauce?
A: Light soy sauce is widely available in grocery stores, supermarkets and specialty Asian food markets. You can also find it online through various retailers and websites. Prices vary depending on the brand and size of the product. Be sure to read the label carefully to make sure you’re getting the right type of soy sauce for your recipe.
If you are looking for a quality light soy sauce to add some flavor to your cooking, check out the brands below. The best ones are made with soybeans and wheat, fermented for a long time to produce a salty, rich taste that’s perfect for stir-frys or marinating fish or meat.
One of Taiwan’s largest soy sauce makers, Kimlan, is a favorite among Chinese cooks for its crisp, clean flavor and balance of saltiness and sweetness. While it is often paired with Asian dishes like fried rice, this soy sauce is also versatile enough to use for a wide variety of cooking methods, from braising to frying to grilling. And it’s affordable, too! So, next time you’re at the store, grab a bottle of this delicious soy sauce and get cooking.